Our Story

How it all started...

In the early 1950's a small church was born near Austin High School. The name was Pentecostal First Church of Austin. A few years later the community moved to its current location, 5201 Martin Ave. A few years after that, the name was changed to Trinity Chapel. In those days the lead pastor left and the youth pastor at the time was put into place as the interim pastor. To this day Melvin Clearman, installed in 1958 as lead pastor, jokes that he was the interim pastor of Trinity Chapel for over 60 years!
In those six decades Trinity Chapel has ebbed and flowed in both membership size and demographic. We have been home to the poor, the rich, the simple, the wise, to unbelievers and believers alike. We have also represented multiple ethnicities and cultures and continue to be a people who understand and long for greater unity in diversity!  
[See More Pictures of Trinity Chapel Austin]

Expanding the vision...

The logos say it all. For decades Trinity Chapel has been primarily known as a lighthouse. It has been a bastion of love and protection and a home to which one can regularly return no matter how many years they've been away. At Trinity Chapel no visitor has ever been a stranger and many visitors have found a lifelong home. In this new season, Trinity Chapel will still be a lighthouse, but...(continued below)

Where we are headed...

(continued from above)...it will also have a refreshed, local and outward focus. For that reason we have added Austin to our name. We are now, Trinity Chapel Austin. To be sure, Trinity Chapel had an outward focus as well and was regularly the top giver to oversees missions among our fellowship of churches! However, Trinity Chapel Austin will focus more on our immediate community. Although we will continue to be the home away from home, we are now actively seeking to more intentionally expand this Great Love we have been given into our neighborhood community, starting with the Trinity Triangle (a longtime vision of Reverend Clearman), expanding into the 78751, then into greater Austin and beyond, Thus, the logo of this season represents action and outward movement, because "love is war." We are called to take Christ's love into the highways and byways, to fight for the outsider, the downtrodden, the misunderstood, the hopeless, the aimless wonderer and all who can't or won't fight for themselves. So where are we headed? We are headed wherever God is already at work seeking to expand the Light and Love of Truth and Mercy.  

Be a part of the story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to grow together at 9:30 am and 10:30